Saturday, November 25, 2006

Book Review: Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale [Holly Black]

RATING: I admit, YA isn't my cup of tea, but this was pretty good.



The first time I read this book, I couldn't get into it at all. After two chapters, I called it a copycat of Emma Bull's "War for the Oaks", and chucked it into a random box, where it disappeared for two years until it made its way back into my hands last night. It wasn't so bad after all.

Quite frankly, I am bothered that this book is being marketed to adolescents. Those who know me know that I am no prude, but I’d think twice before letting an adolescent read something where the protagonist is a high school dropout, chain-smokes and gulps down alcohol like water at sixteen.

Or maybe I'm just getting too old. Gah.

Anyway, Tithe is a coming of age/self-discovery story made into an urban fantasy. Kaye Fierch is sixteen, and her mother fronts a struggling rock band. Kaye and her mother Ellen move back in with Grandma when her mother’s boyfriend tries to kill Ellen for no particular reason at all. Kaye later finds out that this incident was set off by the Fey in an attempt to bring Kaye back to Jersey.

Back in her childhood home, Kaye is reunited with both her human and Faerie childhood friends, and finds out the truth about herself and her past. She is drawn into Faerie politics, a twisted plot involving the Seelie and Unseelie Courts, where she falls for a dangerous knight who may be just using her to his own advantage.

I found “Tithe” to be an entertaining light read. The book is easy to gobble up. The plot is charmingly simple, and the pacing quick. The characters are all ridden with teenage angst, which adds to the "badass-ery" of the book. I'd have to say the enjoyment I got from reading this book is akin to watching a low-budget, B-movie with an interesting storyline. It may not be very visually stimulating, but you love it anyway because of the story.

Tithe gets down and dirty. It doesn’t have any illusions of grandeur in it. The backdrop is rough and rugged, and the narrative and dialogue unpolished, making the story exude a certain ragged, blue-collar charm.

I particularly enjoyed Kaye's morbid-poetic introspectiveness. For example, she describes sunset at the beach as “[slitted] wrists in a bathtub and the blood is all over the water”.

I probably would've given this five stars if I'd read it in my "jaded-angst" stage eight to nine years ago. At present, this lola is giving it a 3.5 stars for being a simple, rather nostalgic and - once I got over my prudishness - enjoyable read.

No comments:

Post a Comment